Thursday, January 8, 2015

It's Complicated

Many of my sculptures contain simple forms and materials that in association create strong whole images.
BUT... at times, I continue to add material until the piece is rather complicated.  The challenge then becomes viewing these as something closer to an essay than a poem.

The piece shown below is (was) named 'Bad Stork'.  Once I saw the bird's body in the cow jawbone and added a beak (partly real from a great blue heron skeleton) things took a turn for the dark side.

I had the porcelain leg of a 19th century doll on my work table.  (Slight aside here: I don't set out to invoke darkness, but the leg seem to 'fit').
From there is was and would be 'Bad Stork' and as a storyline it made sense to me that not every baby that is carried by a stork got delivered intact.  The stork either got hungry or had a bad disposition.  Either way, both the leg and part of the swaddling cloth were all that remained when I got to portraying the deviant.  Don't shoot the messenger!




On a more prosaic note, the two photos below are of a piece entitled: 'Ghost Town'.
Having spent a few years knocking around the Southwest (one year working in Death Valley), I came to know the detritus that was left behind when a vein of gold ran out.

Those ghost towns were often home to dreamers, thieves, and victims, with an occasional rich scoundrel.  The photos on the Bingo card are tintypes from a found album dated the mid-1800's.  The rest of the material is what lay on the ground near a rail yard in Asheville, NC.

R.I.P.




No comments:

Post a Comment