Wednesday, November 19, 2014

The Last Word

I might as well get 'The Last Word' out early.
Finding the bronze baby shoes, really beat up, triggered a thought that the original wearer of these shoes might be an old man (or already dead?).
But bronze baby shoes, aside from being starkly out of fashion, have a look.  Could I hijack the shoe for some other purpose?
















I also had an old cell phone (don't we all?) that surrendered to being torn apart.  As the keyboard evolved into the teeth in the mouth of my figure, the title came swerving toward me like a texting driver. 

Other road detritus fell into place: a shard of taillight, a flattened spray can, a brick.

This sculpture is 14" tall.  This is similar in size to many of the other sculptures I've created.  The size, I believe, affects the viewer's experience.  Smaller sculptures invite a personal experience, where as if this piece was 16 feet tall it would dominate the viewer.

Others have subtitled this piece, "Don't text and drive." 
Looking back at the history of modern sculpture, the inclusion of common objects in uncommon arrangements has enabled artists and viewers to re-frame the conversation to invite comment and introspection.
Comments welcome.


No comments:

Post a Comment